BS EN ISO 1461 Galvanizing standards for fabricated iron and steel product.
BS EN ISO 1461 galvanizing standards has been revised and the new third edition incorporates changes in content to reflect the experience gained in using ISO 1461. It includes a simplification of procedures and presentation.This is the key standard for the treatment of iron and steel.This is specifies the general properties of coatings and test methods for coatings applied by dipping fabricated iron and steel products in a zinc melt (containing not more than 2 % of other metals).It is covers the requirements for hot dip galvanizing baths.Safety and process requirements, acceptance inspection and sampling, and coating properties.
What’s new in this revised edition of BS EN ISO 1461?
The galvanizing standards scope of application has been refined to exclude woven or welded mesh products that are continuously galvanized.
Significant changes to the text include:
- A definition for weld seepage
- A definition for zinc melt
- References to the availability of secondary zinc supply
- Explanatory notes on coating finish
- Requirements for sampling and testing have been simplified
- Additional references for the use of alternative renovation materials and for methods of adhesion testing
Informative on the influence of the basis metal on the hot dip galvanized coatings produced and designfor galvanizing have been moved into the guidance document ISO 14713-2 galvanizing standards.
It does not apply to the following:
- Sheet, wire and woven or welded mesh products that are continuously hot dip galvanized
- Tube and pipe that are hot dip galvanized in automatic plants
- Hot dip galvanized products (e.g. Fasteners) for which specific standards exist and which might include additional requirements or requirements that are different from those in BS EN ISO 1461
- After-treatment/over-coating of hot dip galvanized articles is not covered by this standard.
Individual product standards can incorporate BS EN ISO 1461 for the coating by quoting its number.
It can also be incorporated with modifications specific to the product. Different requirements can also be made for galvanized coatings on products intended to meet specific regulatory requirements.
BS EN ISO 1461 does not cover after-treatment/over-coating of hot dip galvanized articles.